Friday, September 10, 2010

Music, Sweet Music

I believe that I have a pretty eclectic taste in music.  If you stole my iPod, you'd probably think that I'm a schizophrenic (don't worry, I'm not.  one debilitating ailment, narcolepsy, is enough for me!) for the artist list I have. 

I grew up in the South.  Or Midwest.  Or West.  Oh hell, I grew up in Oklahoma.  More defining than that though, is that I attended Oklahoma State University.  What does this have to do with music, you may ask.  Everything.  Google "red dirt" music and you'll find more than you ever wanted to know about Stillwater, OK and the bands that got their start there.  I swear if I could carry a tune, I'd be one of them.  These bands, more specifically, The Great Divide and Cross Canadian Ragweed (hey, it was 2000!) allowed me to break out of my top 40 hits and love different music because I actually liked the music.  For the first time, lyrics spoke to my heart.  I felt as if the songwriters were writing about me, my family or my best friend.  Recommendations of this genre?
Check out:
Cross Canadian Ragweed - Anywhere but here. Alabama.
No Justice - The Toast.  Turn to A Smile
Pat Green - Carry On
Stoney LaRue - Shot Full of Holes.  Downtown.
Randy Rogers Band - When the Circus Leaves Town

I've got more red dirt recommendations where that came from, but as the beginning of this post says, its all about the variety of musicality.

I discovered a song over the summer, by listening to Wyoming Public Radio that I fell in love with instantly.  Seriously.  2 months later and it's still my ringtone.
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Home

A song that I heard first on The Hills (back when LC was on and Heidi was pre-Barbie) that I still love to this day is:
A Fine Frenzy - Almsot Lover


Others that top my "play count" are:
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah.  STILL. GIVES. ME. CHILLS.
The Grass Roots - Let's Live For Today
P!nk - Crystal Ball
Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down
Schuyler Fisk - What am I to You
Julie Roberts - Rain on a Tin Roof
Allison Krauss - Let Me Touch You For Awhile

So... what do you think?  Do these artists/songs suck more than the PAC-10? ;-)
Let me know if there's a certain artist or song that you think I need to be playing Right Now.

Until next time,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment