Monday, September 13, 2010

Hopes and Prayers

I've always considered myself a patriotic American.  However, I get complacent and take for granted the freedom that has been granted to us. 

For the past year I've heard on the news about the three hikers who are being jailed in Iran, accused as spies.  This breaks my heart.  They were not targeted for being spies, or for crossing some unmarked border.  They are sitting in an Iranian jail today because they are Americans.  I hope and pray that Sarah, Josh and Shane are freed soon.

Reflecting on this brings my train of thought to another matter.  One that is closer to home for most of us.  America is the only place that I would ever want to be from.  I'm proud to be an American.  That doesn't mean that we are without flaws though.  Racism is a black cloud that has been hanging over our heads from the very beginning steps of our nation, with the Native Americans, Africans, Asians and more. 

Most of the time when you hear "racism", you automatically think of a white person thinking or speaking negatively about a black person, based on the color of skin.  ALL races are capable of being racists, not just the "whites". 

I've been asked more times than I can count "what are you?" meaning my heritage.  I usually laugh it off and say that I'm an American mutt.  Why am I being asked this question in the first place?  Why is anyone? 

As I sit here typing this, I think about my sweet little boy, in bed asleep.  I hope and pray that his dreams are happy ones. I hope and pray that one day he can travel the world and not be worried about being targeted for being an American.  I hope and pray that America will always be the Land of the Free for the future generations. I hope and pray that one day my little boy and all the other boys and girls in his generation will finally be able to overcome racism.  So, with the risk of sounding like a silly pageant queen.... I hope and pray for peace.

Until next time,
J

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    What do you think about Modalert generic? ? Does it help reduce excessive sleepiness?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete